Feb 09 2012
The 2nd ESWC Summer School, sponsored by RENDER, will run in southern Crete in the week before the EWSC2012 conference – from the morning of Monday May 21st to midday Saturday May 26th 2012. Applications are open now until 15 of February 2012! The ESWC summer school will be aligned with the most prominent and emerging topics of the ESWC conference. We will also provide opportunities for attendees to network with their peers, the school tutors and keynotes as well as senior members of STI International and senior members of the Semantic Web community who are participating in the conference.
- Lora Aroyo (Free University of Amsterdam, NL)
- Enrico Franconi (Free University of Bolzano, IT)
- Mark Greaves (Vulcan Inc. US)
- Jim Hendler (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, US)
- Chris Welty (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, New York, US)
- Knowledge representation languages and Web-scale reasoning
- Linked Data publishing and consumption
- Developing and using ontologies
- Semantically enabled Web APIs and services
- Social semantics
The organization and tutorial team for this summer school have extensive experience in these types of events having organized similar events in Europe, the US and Asia over a number of years. Building from this experience, and also knowledge of pedagogy we know that learning-by-doing leads to successful learning. We also know the true value of networking in the research context and that this is best supported by an informal atmosphere coupled with an enjoyable inclusive social program. Supporting the above will be a dominant theme of the EWSC summer school and a significant portion of the school will involve hands-on sessions with the latest generation of Semantic Web tools.
The summer school is open to anyone studying in a Semantic Web related post-graduate course or is at an early stage of a Semantic Web related career and is engaged in suitable Semantic Web activities. Places will be limited to 50 in order to ensure that all participating students receive quality time with their tutors. Accepted students will be obliged to attend the whole week.
We encourage anyone who is at an early stage of their Semantic Web career to apply our school which benefits from its close association with the conference.
The ESWC summer school is supported by a number of European projects including PlanetData and also videolectures.net.
You can find out more details including the whole program at our website at: http://summerschool2012.eswc-conferences.org/
- Application opens: December 1st 2011
- Application closes: February 15th 2012
- Decision on acceptance: March 1st 2012
- Summer school: May 21st (9am) to midday May 26th
- STI Members: 650 Euros
- Non STI Members: 700 Euros
Fees include registration fee, accommodation and meals.